Gripin has 1,924,323 fans on Facebook:
Gripin has 50,110 followers on Twitter:
Gripin was formed in the year 2000 and has four band members. Birol Namoglu on vocals, Arda Inceoglu on bass and keyboards, Murat Basdogan on guitars and Ilker Balic on drums. They compose and write all of their own music which is in the pop-rock genre.
Gripin have performed at many festivals with internationally known musicians and bands like ‘Cake’, ‘Shed 7’, ‘Reamonn’, ‘Myslovitz’, ‘Placebo’, ‘Skin’, ‘Evanescence’, ‘Travis’, ‘Skunk Anansie’, ‘Franz Ferdinand’, ‘Manic Street Preachers’, ‘Within Temptation’, ‘Badly Drawn Boy’ and many more. They have also performed at rock bars and rock venues, including the most famous one in Istanbul ‘Bronx Bar’ every Saturday night for four years.
In 2004, the band released their first studio album ‘Hikayeler Anlatildi’. In 2005, they released the second edition of the first album, ‘Hikayeler Anlatildi 2.Baski’ which includes unplugged versions and live performances. With the success of these two albums, they performed at over 600 concerts at sixty four different cities.
In 2007 Gripin released their self-titled album. With the success of this album they went onto receive many awards including:
• ‘Hurriyet Altın Kelebek Awards’: Best Breakthrough Artist of 2007
• ‘Powerturk Music Awards’: Best Song of The Year 2007 for their song ‘Sensiz Istanbul’a Dusmanim’
• ‘Powerturk Music Awards’: Best Duet of The Year 2007 for their song ‘Sensiz Istanbul’a Dusmanim’
• ‘Istanbul FM Awards’: Best Song of The Year 2007 for their song ‘Sensiz Istanbul’a Dusmanim’
• ‘Istanbul FM Awards’: Best Duet of The Year 2007 for their song ‘Sensiz İstanbul’a Dusmanim’,
• ‘Yildiz Technical University Awards’: 2007 Best Band of The Year.
In 2009 Gripin composed the theme music ‘Komsu Kizi’ for the popular TV sitcom ‘Genis Aile’
The popularity of this song led them to accept:
• ‘Istanbul FM Awards’: Best Theme Music for a TV Show 2009.
On the 5th of March 2010 Gripin released their third album ‘M.S.05.03.2010’. This album
created an even larger fan following for the band all over Turkey. The first track of this album ‘Durma Yagmur Durma’ made it to the top of Nielsen’s ‘Turkey’s most popular songs on the radio and television’ Top 25 list and stayed there for thirty one weeks.
This album produced four hit singles:
Gripin – ‘Durma Yağmur Durma’
Gripin – ‘Sen Gidiyorsun’
Gripin – ‘Beş’
Gripin – ‘Gidenin Dostu Olmaz’
The success of this album led to many more awards:
• Mugla University `2010 Golden Career` Award.
• Hurriyet Altın Kelebek `2010 Best Band of the Year` Award.
• Kral TV `2010 Best Band of the Year` Award.
• TRT `2011 Best Band of the Year` Award.
• Karadeniz Teknik Üniversitesi `2011 Best Band of the Year` Award.
• Muğla Üniversitesi `2011 Best Rock Band of the Year` Award.
• TGY `2012 Best Band of the Year` Award.
• TEMADER `2012 Best Band of the Year` Award.
In 2012, they were successful enough to land a commercial deal with the leading telecommunications operator ‘Turkcell’ and this TV commercial was shot in Kenya:
The same year also bought them another commercial deal with the confectionary giant ‘Ulker’ which also led to a TV commercial that was broadcast on social media as well for a long period of time:
With the success of their TV ventures, Gripin was requested to compose the theme song for the new TV series ‘Ucurum’ on a popular Turkish TV channel:
The band’s most favoured accomplishment for the year 2012 was the invitation to compose the new anthem for the world-renowned Turkish soccer team Galatasaray. This song marked the championship of Galatasaray for the 2012 season. The triumph of the new anthem was so immense, that a single called ‘Sensiz Olmaz Galatasaray’ was released. Gripin performed to a large crowd of 55,000 fans at the Galatasaray stadium during the championship celebrations.
Gripin - ‘Sensiz Olmaz Galatasaray’:
Gripin performed and composed a duet with “baglama” (traditional Turkish instrument) virtuoso ‘Ahmet Koc’ for his solo album ‘Renkli-Turkce’. The song ‘Sus Soyleme’ was on the top of the charts for numerous weeks.
Ahmet Koc ft. Gripin- ‘Sus Soyleme’:
The last two years have been an immensely busy time with almost 300 performances at concerts, university festivals and large tours (Mercedes, KocFest, Universiade, US Tour 2012, SXSW 2012..) not only all around Turkey, but also in the UK (England), Europe (Austria, Belgium, Germany, Cyprus and Switzerland), Azerbaijan, Australia (Melbourne), USA (New York, Washington DC, Boston, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Austin).
The band released their long-awaited new album ‘Yalnizligin Caresini Bulmuslar’ at the end of November 2012. The first hit of this album ‘Yalnizligin Caresini Bulmuslar’ reached number one on the the charts and stayed in that position for over 8 weeks:
The second hit of the album ‘Ask Nereden Nereye’ reached number one on the charts and stayed in that position for over 14 weeks:
This album bought the band two awards:
• PAL FM (major radio station) `2013 Best Band of the Year` Award.
• Galatasaray University `2013 Best Band of the Year` Award.
Gripin received an invitation to perform at one of the biggest music events known around the world, South by Southwest (SXSW) at Austin, Texas from March 12th – 17th 2013.
After sucessfully performing to a large crowd at the official SXSW show, US Billboard Magazine menioned the band as one of the ‘Breakthrough Acts at SXSW 2013’.