Born in Baghdad, Mohamed studied Film and Television Production at the Media Academy in Hilversum, traveling to the UK to complete two Masters degrees in Cinematography and Directing at the Northern Film School in Leeds. He is co-founder of the multi-award winning Human Film a UK based feature film production company.
In 2003, Mohamed made his first feature film, ‘Ahlaam’, an insight into the chaos and confusion of a war-torn Iraq. ‘Ahlaam’ screened at over 125 International Film Festivals, received over 23 awards, and represented Iraq for Oscar and Golden Globe Consideration in 2007.
As a Sundance fellow, Mohamed went to shoot his 2nd feature film; ‘Son of Babylon’ (2010), that went on to screen at Sundance and Berlin, receiving the Amnesty and Peace Prize, followed by a BIFA, Netpac and 30 more awards globally. It was Iraq’s official entry for the 2011 Academy Awards. In 2010 Mohamed received the award of Variety’s Middle Eastern Filmmaker of the year when his documentary “In My Mother’s Arms” that premiered at Toronto IFF and won the Asia Pacific Screen Academy Award for best Documentary.
In 2013 he began work on his film “In The Sands of Babylon”, a film that tells, for the first time, the horrors of the forgotten 1991 Iraq Uprising. The film launched at Abu Dhabi IFF and won Best film from the Arab World.
Alongside his work as a filmmaker Mohamed established the Iraqi independent film centre in order to cultivate and independent spirit and approach for feature films and shorts for both experienced and emerging filmmakers alike. Through the centre Mohamed has produced numberous workshops for young filmmakers, so far 12 shorts have been produced – screening in Berlin IFF, London IFF and Tribeca to name but a few.
Mohamed latest film ‘The Journey’ 2017 about a female suicide bomber,
that premiered at Toronto IFF 2017 went on to screen at London, 10 more awards globally. It was Iraq’s official entry for the 2018 Academy Awards.
Mohamed is currently in development with his next fiction film ‘Bird’s of Paradise’
• 2017 Writer/Producer/Director “The Journey”
• 2013 Writer/Director/Editor: “In The Sands of Babylon” (90mins) 35mm/HD
Feature Film‘ Best Arab Film’ Abu Dhabi IFF 2013
• 2012 Writer/Director/Editor “In My Mother’s Arms” 81mins
officially selected Toronto IFF documentary, the film won APAA 2012.
• 2010 Writer/Director/Editor “Son of Babylon” 35mm feature film ,90mins, 7 country
co-production – won Peace Prize & Amnesty Award Berlinale IFF 2010 & BIFA.
• 2010 Writer/Director/Editor “Iraq, War, Love, God & Madness”,84 Mins,Documentary
• 2005 Writer/Director “Ahlaam”, 35mm award winning feature film.
• 2012-2015 Producer 12 x 35mm Short Films, through Human Film’s 35mm Baghdad Workshop, “Gift of My Father” (6 min) Best Short Film – Generation Berlinale 2015, “Kingdom of Garbage” (7min) Tribeca 2015. “Happy Birthday” (10 mins) Berlin IFF (2014), ‘Nesma’s Bird’s (9 mins) London BFI .2014
Programming descriptions are generated by participants and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of SXSW.