TORREBLANCA is a Mexican rock/pop/alternative independent band created in late 2007. They are a feisty young group of 5 musicians -very different from each other- however (yet), they comply in an awesome way to create a unique and fresh sound. TORREBLANCA tries to find its way, but also to get lost in the music creation. In recordings as well as in live performances they seek to offer unpredictable, elegant, intense, important and well played songs, whose visceral and sincere interpretation captivates their listeners.
Until now the band has recorded an EP called Defensa (2010) and this fall they will release their first LP Bella Época, which was produced by Quique Rangel (Café Tacvba).
Juan Manuel Torreblanca: Piano & Vocals
Alejandro Balderas “El Tío”: Flute, Sax, Clarinet and Vocals
Jerson Vázquez: Drums
Carlos Zavala “El Abuelo”: Bass
Andrea Balency: Accordion, Keyboards & Vocals
BELLA ÉPOCA (2011)
● Bella Época produced by Quique Rangel (Café Tacvba), was recorded in January 2011 in “El Ensayo” (Café Tacvba's studio) and it includes 11 songs. Mixed by Luis Román y David Parra and mastered by Tom Coyne in Sterling Sound, New York) who has worked with Sade, Adele, Beyoncé, and many more.
● Bella Época will be distributed by Arts & Crafts Mexico.
● It's a stronger, more direct record, which reflects a lot more musical maturity than the previous EP.
● First single “Lobo” was released last march, just before TORREBLANCA's appearance in Mexican rock festival VIVE LATINO 2011, it had a great response, specially on Reactor 105 and Ibero Radio 90.9 FM.
DEFENSA. EP. (2010)
● TORREBLANCA's first record Defensa, a 5 track EP was released by the band in April 2010.
● It was recorded, mixed and co-produced by Chilean engineer Arturo “Turra” Medina, under the executive production of Leonel García (León Polar, ex Sin Bandera), In Leonel's studio El Ártico.
● Defensa included collaborations of Natalia Lafourcade in “Largo” and Denise Gutiérrez, Lo Blondo (Hello Seahorse!) as well as Leonel in “Nunca acabo lo que empiezo”.
●Singles “Defensa” & “Parece Navidad” were played in Mexican radio stations Reactor 105.7, Ibero 90.9, Interferencia 710 & RMX. The band also played live sessions in Reactor and W Radio in Mexico and in Los Angeles radio stations: Indie 103.1 & KPFK.
● Defensa's video was produced by Ediciones Hungría, and was aired on TV channels such as Telehit, Canal 11 y TVC.
You can watch it here: vimeo.com/9769231 .
Second single Parece Navidad's video was directed by photographer Floria Gonzalez, in which none of the band members participates, and it works more like a visual art piece and it reminds us of early David Lynch shorts.
You can watch it here: vimeo.com/17473280.
● In Mexican Media notes and reviews were published in magazines such as Rolling Stone Mexico, Marvin, Nylon Mexico, Elle Men, Marie Claire y Twist, as well as in Mexican blogs mehaceruido.com, tortillarock.com y redbull.panamerika.fm and international blogs, clubfonograma.com USA, extravanganza.cl Chile and elamarill0.blogspot.com Colombia.
● AWARDS: Torreblanca was nominated in the categories of Best new band, Band of the Year and Best Art (which they won) in the fourth edition of the Indie O Music Awards.
● In 2007 Juan Manuel Torreblanca was chosen by the Red Bull Music Academy to participate in that year's conferences and workshops which took place in Toronto, Canada. Juan Manuel performed in several venues as part of his participation that year.
● In 2008 Juan Manuel Torreblanca performed in the prestigious Barcelona Festival Sónar
● That same year they had the opportunity to perform in London at Plastic People and Cargo.
● In Mexico City the band has performed in festivals and venues such as:
Festival Vive Latino 2011
Lunario del Auditorio Nacional
Teatro de la Ciudad
Teatro Metropolitan (as supporting act for Enjambre)
Pabellón de Alta Tecnología
Club Voilá Antara
Casa del Lago
Terraza del Centro Cultural de España
Foro del Tejedor
● They have also played outside of Mexico City touring through Puebla, Pachuca, Querétaro, León, Cuernavaca y Guadalajara.
● In 2010 and 2011 the band have toured California (Los Angeles, Santa Ana, Costa Mesa y San Francisco, Fresno and San Diego). Performing in venues such as The Echo Plex, Levitt Pavillion, Elbo Room and La Cita Cafe.
● In October 2011 the band will participate in international festival Corona Capital, in which they share Line up with Portishead, The Strokes and many more.