Bringing Sexy Back: Where's the Line Today?
Back in the day, independent films were known for pushing the boundaries on depiction's of sexuality. But where do we stand today? A panel of filmmakers will discuss that line, along with thoughts on how a current crop of creators can embrace and highlight sexuality in their own works.
The panel will consider several key questions. Among them:
· Where is "the line" in terms of what sexuality can be easily presented in indie film?
· Is it possible to depict sex in a way that enhances the narrative rather than disrupts it?
· How do I work with my cast/subjects, and also my crew, to create an environment where everyone feels safe -- yet where I still get the images I need?
· Are there any considerations for potential distribution I should keep in mind?
· And, of course, the all important… “What will my mother think?”!!
As co-founder and director of CineKink, an organization that recognizes and encourages sex-positive and kink-friendly depictions in film and television, Lisa Vandever curates and oversees an annual film festival and touring series designed to promote and showcase such works.
Julie Keck is a screenwriter and social media mischief maker who crafts thought-provoking films and coordinates chaos via King is a Fink Productions. Projects include the Kinky Cutie short film series, award winning documentaries, and boundary-pushing web series.
Jessica King (writer/director) has produced a wide range of work from feature-length film narratives, to documentaries, to short films, most notably her Kinky Cuties film series.
Sophia Takal's feature film debut, GREEN, premiered at SXSW in 2011 where it won the Chicken & Egg Award. It won other awards and was nominated for a Gotham award. She was one of Filmmaker Magazine's 25 New Faces of Film in 2011.
Chris Gore is a comedian, writer, and the film expert on G4TV's Attack of the Show. Currently he has two animated shows in the works, FetishVIL and The Last Guys on Earth. He is the host of a weekly podcast called PodCRASH with That Chris Gore. Chris is the founder of Film Threat, producer of the feature comedy My Big Fat Independent Movie and the author of the Ultimate Film Festival Survival Guide. He likes Batman, zombies and long walks on his back. Chris can be found at ChrisGore.com.